Trust Pilot
Make a Claim telephone icon Menu

Settlement in the UK

People that are seeking a UK settlement visa are to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). This can be made after a certain number of years of living in the UK, depending on what type of visa they currently hold.

What is the Life in the UK Test?

One of the requirements of successfully applying to settle in the UK is to pass the Life in the UK test, which asks questions about British traditions and customs. This is an official government test to help obtain British citizenship and it takes place at many test centres across the UK. Study for this test by reading the Official Handbook for the Life in the UK test.

What is the English Language Requirement?

You must prove your knowledge of the English language if you are applying to settle in the UK and become a British citizen. This can be achieved by holding a qualification in English or a degree that has been obtained using written English.

Can I settle in the UK if I am a refugee or seeking humanitarian protection?

Anyone with a residence card that identifies them as a refugee or someone who is under the humanitarian protection of the UK can, subject to settlement rules, apply for ILR. Close family members, who are already present in the UK, can be included under this application to become a British citizen.

How can I apply to settle in the UK?

The immigration specialists at Asons Solicitors can assist you in your application to settle in the UK and ensure that you meet all the relevant criteria.

Call us on 01204 894 866, between 9am and 5pm, and you can discuss your desire to settle in the United Kingdom with Asons’ immigration department.

We'll call you for..


For FREE advice on your next steps call us on

01204 894 866 (mon - fri 9am to 5pm)